Traditional lasagna is a classic Italian dish that has been enjoyed by many for generations. A hearty dish with layered lasagna pasta, meat sauce, and cheese. The meat sauce is made from a mixture of ground beef, onions, garlic, mashed tomatoes, herbs and spices. The cheese mix consists of ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, eggs and parsley. Lasagna is assembled by layering a mixture of pasta, meat sauce, and cheese and baking it in an oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. The spicy aroma of lasagna will whet your appetite even before you eat. When ready, slice and add to lasagna. Layers of pasta, meat sauce and cheese mix in a delicious symphony. The balance between the richness of the cheese and the spiciness of the meat sauce is exquisite, and the pasta has a warm texture and homely taste. Traditional lasagna is the perfect comfort food to warm your body and soul.
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onions, and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain excess fat. Add mashed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper to the skillet. Mix and simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, and parsley.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread the meat sauce thinly on the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Place a layer of lasagna pasta on top, followed by a layer of ricotta and cheese mixture. Repeat layers until all ingredients are gone, making sure to end with a layer of meat sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the lasagna.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and he’ll bake another 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow lasagna to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.