Cream of Onion Soup is a comforting and delicious soup that can be eaten at any time of the year. A staple in many savory dishes, onions have a sweet and slightly pungent flavor that adds depth and complexity to this soup.You can customize them. One of the benefits of this soup is that it makes good use of leftover onions in your pantry. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, onions support a healthy immune system and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons or chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and cook for 20 minutes, or until they are tender and caramelized.
- Onions are covered with flour; toss to ensure even coating.
- The soup should simmer for 15 to 20 minutes after the broth has been added to the saucepan and brought to a boil.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir well after adding the heavy cream to the pot.
- To taste, add salt and pepper to the food.
- If desired, top with chopped chives or croutons when serving while still hot.